Wednesday 9 April 2014

8 things about China I now consider normal

Nihao!

I'm sure most of you had thought I had left China considering it's been 6 months since my last blog entry.  And I know some of you have been waiting patiently for the next chapter of my incredible Chinese adventure. OK, maybe just mum and dad have been waiting.

Well, wait no longer. Here it is!

Like any good story, for those of you who have just joined, let me fill you in.

1.  I am an Australian radio executive living and working for the last 2 years in China
2.  I'm responsible for programming 9 radio stations in the MyFM China network
3.  I once played the role of Jimmy Olsen in the Picton High School version of "Man of Steel", and sang a love song to Lois Lane.  Not directly related to my job, but it has helped my karaoke skills in China.

I recently read an article titled "20 things that change after living in China", and it got me thinking.  This thinking then led me to creating my new blog entry, "8 things about China I now consider normal".

1. Carrying your girlfriends handbag


Even though I'm currently single, I have had enough exposure to the female species to understand their obsession with the handbag.   And, like most loving boyfriends/husbands/partners, I have been more than willing to "hold" said handbag on occasion.  But, the Chinese have taken it to a new level.  Not only do Chinese men hold the handbag, but they also carry it around for their partner. And it's not like the girl is weighed down with other items.  No, I think it's just a task that has been gradually handed over to the man, whether he likes it or not.

It could also be the reason why Chinese men have adopted the "man bag" as an accessory.

2. Chinese girls and the "selfie"

The "selfie" is one of the biggest trends in the world, and not because of Ellen Degeneres and her celebrity selfie from the Oscars, but because of the Chinese.  I believe they can lay claim to the "selfie".  My first few months here, I was amazed at how much time Chinese girls spend taking photos of themselves in different poses.  Smiling, pouting, moody, broody, fingers up, cheeks blown out, glasses on, glasses off etc etc.  It is so popular and so trendy, that there is even a website in China that shows you 100 different "selfie" face expressions to try.  Really?  100?  I could only think of 7.  A few weeks ago, I was on a train from Shijiazhuang to Beijing, a journey of approximately 1 hour.  The entire journey, the girl in the seat opposite me spent it taking a range of selfies.  God bless the digital camera. (Note, the photo attached is from Google)

3. Eating dessert first


I know, it sounds crazy right? On my first trip to Xi'an, my colleagues took me out to dinner and ordered the dessert on the right as part of the meal.  They explained it was from Hong Kong, and it's baked warm honey bread with ice cream which melts and it tastes awesome.  What they didn't explain was that it was served first.  What?  I'm sorry, but after spending the last 40 years eating dessert last, I can only go from savoury to sweet. I cannot go from sweet to savoury.  My taste buds would freak out!  For some reason, the Chinese like to eat dessert first, and most times will finish the meal with rice or noodles, or maybe soup.  My taste buds have adjusted, but it took a long time.  But I have a sweet tooth, so there is NO way I am missing dessert, even if it is served first.

4. Smelling like I've just walked out of a night club from 1991


Let me start by saying I have nothing against people who smoke, or smoking in general.  I have good friends who smoke.  But what I found hard getting used to is going home after a night out in China, and smelling like I'd just left Waves night club in 1991 (Waves, was and still is a nightclub in Wollongong Australia.  A popular hangout back in the early 90's.  Ah the memories.).  The reason of course is that smoking is legal everywhere.  And even where "no smoking" signs are displayed, people still smoke. Someone needs to invent a machine that you walk through when you leave a bar or nightclub that instantly removes the smell of smoke. Now there is a Chinese money making idea!

5. Chinese Fashion

I am not one to comment on fashion.  Hey, I still wear jeans and sneakers together.  But something I do respect is the Chinese sense of fashion, or lack thereof.  Overall, I have stopped doing the double takes at what I see, but every now and then I will get surprised.  As part of my job, I do airchecks with the DJ's.  This is where we sit down together, and listen to their talk breaks and discuss the content and give advice.  My first aircheck with Maggie (30yo married DJ from Nanjing), she was wearing this hat.  It was like doing an aircheck with Yogi bear.  I am thinking to borrow the hat for the next board meeting.  How do you think that will go down with the board?


6. Hot water fixes everything


Like most restaurants in most countries, in China when you sit at your table they serve you a glass of water.  The only difference is, it's usually boiling hot! The first time I went out, I didn't even think, and just picked up the boiling hot glass it was served in.  If I had known how to say f*** in Chinese, I would have screamed it.  The reason apparently is that hot water cures everything.  You are sick, your colleagues will tell you to drink more hot water.  Headache?  Hot water.  It's 40 degrees outside and your thirsty.  Hot water.  Bad back? Oh, drink some hot water.  No matter where you are in China, you can always get a cup of hot water.  They even have it at the airport.  But it's hard to drink boiling water served in glass.

7. It's normal to hire attractive DJ's


I'll make it clear now, I do not hire the DJ's for our stations.  That job is left up to the local program managers.  But it's a fact in Chinese radio they tend to hire DJ's that are good looking.  I know what you're saying, "but it's radio?".  However they think of the benefits of good looking staff when they need to advertise them, or hosting events in public etc.  Many times the local stations tell me they have hired a new DJ.  My first question is "are they any good", at which they reply "they are very pretty/handsome". If that was a criteria in Australian radio, I (and many others) would not have got a foot in the door.  (Have you ever heard of the saying "a face for radio" ?).  Attached picture is our female DJ's in Tianjin, and a rather happy/smug looking General Manager of Content!

8.  It's not just OK for batman to wear a mask


Finally, the last thing on my list of what I now consider to be normal is wearing a face mask.  As I write this blog from my office in Beijing, the pollution count is 154 (out of 500) which is considered "unhealthy".  That is probably about an average day for Beijing.  Our newest station in Shijiazhuang (south west of Beijing) is China's most polluted city where it consistently gets above 500, which is "hazardous".  I never thought I would need/wear a mask, but when it gets above 300, the mask comes on.  Provided you change the filters regularly, you'll probably be reasonably safe - or at the very least, live to see NSW win a State of Origin series (Sorry to the non-Australians for that reference).
Oh, and notice from this photo I have matched my mask with my shirt? (See No.5 about fashion)

I know what you're saying.  6 months wait and that's all I could come up with?  Well, I have been pretty busy launching 2 new radio stations.  You haven't heard?  Go and have a read of this:

http://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/aussie-leads-ratings-surge-chinese-station

That's all for now.  If I get the urge, I might even write another blog in the next few weeks about the launch of our new stations.

And thank god winter is over! Aussies should not be subjecedt to cold, dry Beijing winters!

Zaijian!






No comments:

Post a Comment