Tuesday 4 September 2012

Someone tell me what is happening!

Last week I finally got to travel to Urumqi.  Urumqi is the furthest city away from Beijing where MyFM has a station, and it's close to Uzbekistan, Kazihkstan, Pakistan, and all the other -stans.  It's a melting pot of different cultures - Chinese, muslims and Russians make up the majority.  Because of the large muslim population, the road signs are no longer in Chinese and English.  It's Chinese and Arabic.

Driving from the airport to our hotel, my boss asked me what my first impression was.  Honestly, it felt like I was in a middle eastern country.  The signs, the people, and even the buildings had a middle eastern appearance/feel to them.

Let me skip forward a few days to the story behind my blog this week.  I flew out of Urumqi last Friday.  I was warned to get to the airport a little earlier because of the heavy security.  Plus, the city was about to play host to the Eurasian Economic Expo, so security was very, very high.  Before I got on the plane, I was screened, x-rayed, patted down, screened again, feet x-rayed (yes, just my feet) and 2 random explosive tests.

The flight from Urumqi top Bejing was about 3 hours, so I settled back with my book and enjoyed the flight.  I have flown many times, and (for those who don't know) I am also a licensed private pilot.  I have an understanding of how planes work, when they do what they are supposed to do - and when something doesn't sound right.  So nothing about air travel really worries me.

About 30 minites before we were due to land at Beijing, and still flying at 30,000 feet, a great noise came from below the aircraft as the pilot lowered the landing gear.  At 30,000 feet?  Where were we landing? On Mount Everest?

This was immediately followed by the cabin staff madly rushing around the cabin telling people to fasten seatbelts, put your seat up and tray table away etc.  There was a little panic to the way they were doing it, and judging by the look on other passengers faces, they were panicked too.  One of the flight attendants came on the PA and explained (in Chinese) what was going on.  Normally, all their Chinese announcements are then followed up with English versions.  But not this time.

I asked one of the flight attendants walking past what was happening?  She looked at me blankly, and I repeated my question.  She told me to fasten my seatbelt (which was already fastened).  I then realised that they don't actually speak English.  I think they learn the basic phrases like "welcome aboard", "fasten your seat belts" and "would you like beef or chicken?"  When you ask them something else, they don't how to answer because that's not on the script.

At this stage, I am starting to panic a little.  Why would you need the landing gear loweret at 30,000 feet?  I asked the Chinese guy next to me what was happening.  He shook his head and gestured he did not understand me.

So, here I was, the only non-Chinese person on a plane flying at 30,000 feet with the landing gear down, and no one could explain what was happening.  However, if we were going to crash, I could happily get either beef or chicken as my last meal.

After about 10 minutes the landing gear came up, and we started to descend.  Crisis everted.  Well so I thought.

We were making our final approach to Beijing airport.  Flaps were down, as was the landing gear.  Suddenly, the pilot applied full power, and we began to climb.  The gear was raised, and we performed a go-around (attempt to land again).

OK, something has to be wrong.  Why did we lower the landing gear at 30,000 feet?  And why now are we trying to land again.  Maybe our landing gear fell off, and the pilot was checking it at 30,000 feet?  My mind was playing different scenarios. 

We came around for our second attempt and I have to say my heart was in my throat as we touched down.  I expected the landing gear to collapse, and for us to skid down the runway and 300 mph.  But no, we landed safely, and as I got off the plane I looked back to make sure we had all the wheels.

So, what did happen on board flight CA1902 from Urumqi that Friday afternoon?  Why did the pilot lower the landing gear at 30,000 feet?  Why did we have to go around and try to land again?  And should I have had the beef instead of the chicken for lunch?

I know the language barrier is difficult sometimes, but when you're in a large cigar shaped metal tube flying at 30,000 feet, and something goes wrong, it's just a little scary when no one can answer your questions. 


No comments:

Post a Comment