Friday 30 November 2012

So, what about that local sports team?

Hello from Guangzhou!  Yes blog readers, I have set up camp in the JinJiang Hotel in Guangzhou (Southern China) for 2 months as we get ready to launch our biggest radio station so far....and we have to do it in 6 weeks!  We have no office, no on-air staff, no research, 1 station manager, and 1 admin person.  It's going to be a busy few weeks.

In the meantime I have set up office in my hotel room.  Well, when I say office, I have my computer and an internet connection.  That's it.  I suppose all I need for now.  Next week it's round 2 of interviews, and I hope by this time next week we will have close to a full staff.  Still no office though (we move in on December 26.  I've never had to work on my birthday - until now!). 

OK, now to the subject of my latest blog.  I could have written about the change in weather in both Beijing and Guangzhou.  (Boring)  I also could have written about dancing to a cover of a Midnight Oil song in a Chinese bar last weekend.  (Surreal).  Or maybe my first visit to the doctor in China (expensive!).  Or bragged about my appearance in a local expat magazine (I'll do that at the end).

I was sitting at dinner last night with 4 of my work colleagues, and it hit me.  This is what I should write about!

 
One of the most difficult things I found when working in Bangkok, and now working in China, is the language barrier.  Out of all the staff with MyFM China (about 200), probably about 10 or 15 people can understand and communicate in English.  That's why I use a translator most of the time.  But when it comes to sharing dinner with my workmates, this is where I find the language barrier the most challenging.

Last night 5 of us went to a local restaurant for dinner.  Luca (my boss), Hongtao (Station Manager for Nanjing), Lillian (Admin in Shanghai), Milly (my translator/assistant/legend) and myself all went out for a local   Chinese meal (although in China, it's just called a meal).  It's a situation that I have found myself on numerous occasions.  Out of the 4 of them, only Milly can speak good English.  Luca is better at written English, Lillian understands a bit. Hongtao nothing!

So, as dinner starts, we talk briefly about work and kick around a few ideas and talk about the day.  Things are being translated, and I feel part of the conversation as we share a drink and some food (after last night, I can add a new food to my list - eel!).  As dinner progresses, the conversation is translated less and less as they talk with each other.  It's nothing that concerns me, and I was prepared for this as the same thing happened in Thailand.  But sometimes you do feel like you are the third person on a date (actually, at least on a date I could understand what they are saying).

I probably know about 700 Mandarin words, and pretty confident about what I have learned so far, and I listen out for words I know during the conversation.  Sometimes I can put together a few words and work out what is being said.  Most of the time, I sit their like a shag on a rock (I don't even know what that means).  It's a strange feeling watching a group of people talking, and having no idea what they are talking about.  Sort of like watching the last Matrix movie.

Every now and then Milly might translate something, or if my name gets mentioned I ask what is going on.  But at dinner, the momentum of the conversation prevents me from jumping in too much.  Any pause in the conversation, I feel like breaking out that great line "So, what about that ( local sport) team?".  But they just wouldn't get it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy listening to the conversation, and feel very proud of myself when I can identify words and pick up on the conversation.  But it does get boring sometimes when you have no idea what is going on.  I have become an expert in fiddling - playing with the chopsticks, looking at my phone, picking food out of my teeth (even if it's not needed), checking my phone again....and my favourite,  trying to work out what I just ate.

Below is another photo, from my perspective last night.  Luca is on the left, Hongtao on the right.  As you can see, very animated discussion taking place - I just wish I knew what it was about!

Oh, and as promised (and just in case you missed it), I popped up in 'Agenda' magazine this week.  A fortnightly expat magazine, based around business people.  I appear in the "Brainiest Boss in Beijing" section.  And before you judge my 7 out of 12, I'm actually coming equal first!

If you missed it, have a look at http://issuu.com/agendabeijing/docs/agenda2012.12a/49 Plus, you're all getting a copy for Xmas.  But knowing the way China post works, it will be Xmas 2015!

Zaijian!



No comments:

Post a Comment