Sunday 4 November 2012

What a crazy winters day!

I started writing this blog with the view to writing an entry every week thinking I would have plenty of time.  I mean, how long does it take to write a blog?  Add a few photos, write a few things about what I did, throw in the odd funny observation, and it's done!  But I didn't realise I would also be very busy.  That's why it has been a few weeks between blogs.

So, for those who are playing along at home, a quick summary of what I've been up to since my last blog.  Prepared 6 powerpoint presentations for training, flew to Xi'an for 3 days, flew to Hefei for research study. Then got the call to fly to Guangzhou for a day to have dinner with our new station partners, then flew back to Hefei.  Then flew from Hefei back to Beijing.  Caught up for a few beers and some bowling with my Beijing peeps, hosted 2 days of training for my Program Managers, throw in a few Chinese lessons, some Chinese meals (including a surprisingly tasty turtle soup)..and that brings you up to date.

Last week at bowling, a few of us decided to go to the soccer (apparently they call it football in other countries).  The local Beijing team (Beijing Gu'an) were playing their last game of the season at Workers Stadium, which is only about 20 minutes walk from my apartment.  Great, my first ever live soccer match, and I am watching a little known Chinese team play another slightly lesser known Chinese team.  Bring it on!

As the day grew closer, the weather got colder.  At one stage, they forecast the first snow of the season.  Could be interesting, but I am willing to try anything, and in any condition.

The game was due to start at 3:30, so we decided to meet at Switch Bar and Grill, and bar near the stadium.  After I suited up in jumper, jacket, scarf and umbrella, I met my neighbour Andy and we walked down to the bar.  Joining us on our soccer adventure would be Al (Kiwi), Bruce (Scot), Phil and Alistair (another 2 Poms), and Sue (American).  After a few Heinekens, Tsingstaos, Mooseheads and steak sandwichs all round, we marched up the stadium.

The scene at the stadium was, in one word, mad.  The riot police were on hand, along with a massive security presence.  The rain was absolutely tipping it down, and even though our tickets had seat numbers, it was a matter of finding the best place to stand/sit.  We decided to walk right to the top of the stand, and watch from the nosebleeds.

Let's face it, I don't know much about soccer, but I'm pretty sure the Picton Under 12's could have given both teams a run for their money.  Kicks for goal went high and wide, and it wasn't until about the 89th minute that Beijing Gu'an kicked the winning goals winning 1 to 0.  (Did someone say rigged?) The crowd went wild, and it was all over.  What then followed was the longest ever team song I have heard.  I think it went for about 10 minutes.

Just in case we didn't realise, the announcer (in English), told us "The game is over".  Thank god, otherwise we would have stayed there all night.  We made our way out, and discovered the temperature had dropped by about 5 degrees, and with the wind chill, it was about 0 degrees!  So, what better way to finish a football game, than a beer and pizza.  A quick stop at "the Den" for a beer, then I had to make a quick exit.  I promised another friend I would meet her and a few others at a Malaysian place on the other side of town.

I walked the 20 minutes back to my place in the now freezing cold.  Wind, rain, and inside out umbrellas was what greeted me on the streets of Beijing.  A quick change, then it was out to try and flag down the ever elusive Beijing taxi.    Standing in the wind and rain under my cheap umbrella, I was almost going to chuck it in.  It took about 20 minutes to flag down a taxi, at which stage I was running late.  Meeting at 8:30 was turning more into 9:00.  I got dropped off where I believed the restaurant to be, only to find out I still had a bit of a walk.  After phoning Wen (my American/Chinese/Malaysian friend), I finally made it to the restaurant wind blown, cold, and in reasonably good spirits.

When I walked in, I discovered that out of the 7 or 8 people invited, only 4 of us turned up.  And on top of that, the restaurant was closing at 10pm.  So, it was the worlds quickest meal, pay the bill, then the 20 minute obligatory wait to get a taxi.  Made it home by about 10:30, and turned on every heating device in my apartment.  

It was a crazy winters day in Beijing.  But, well worth doing and would do it again tomorrow (actually, I did do it again tomorrow, but that's another blog).  After the crazy events of yesterday, I woke up to the first Beijing snow this morning.  And 0 degrees!  






No comments:

Post a Comment