Saturday 9 June 2012

Hello Beijing!

After months in the making, this morning at 6:18, Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 touched down in Beijing - and I have to admit I was a little excited about arriving in my new home (well, at least for the next 2 years).

I don't normally sleep on flights, but last night after we took off I donned the mask, whacked in the ear plugs, and crashed for about 3 hours.  Earplugs were necessary because the German guy next to me was trying to drown out the jet engines.  The only reason I woke was for breakfast.  "Excuse me mister, you like some breakfast?".  Well, now that you've woken me up, sure!

Two things almost spoiled the experience of arriving in my new home.  First, was the fact that somewhere between Kuala Lumpur and Beijing, one of my bags looks like it went one round with a grizzly bear.  Frame bent out of shape, stitching coming undone, and me not very happy.  So, Malaysia airlines, you'll be getting a nice email (plus photo) from me asking for an explanation.  Of all the travel I have done, I have never seen such a thing.

Second, was the absence of Mr.Zhiang. Who is Mr.Zhiang?  Well, he was the guy who was organised to meet me at the airport.  I did 2 laps of the "people with signs" and not a 'KEOHANE BARRY JOHN" anywhere to be seen.  Lucky I had his phone number, so I gave it a call.  "The number you have called is not in service".  OK, plan B.  Try and explain to a taxi driver (who chances are doesn't speak much English), where I'm going.  Just as I was about to walk out the door towards the taxi, a familiar sign caught my eye.  There he was, Mr.Zhiang, with his sign welcoming me to Beijing.  

I've arrived.  I'm in my hotel (FX Hotel) for 10 nights while I look for a place to live. I'm trying to figure out what my room smells like.  Smokey yes, but what else is in here.  I'll think about it and get back to you.

My first day in Bejing, and here is my photo of the day.  Could be fun.




1 comment:

  1. I have had a few massages by blind people while they were training (my wife was training at the same time, so I was the guinea pig for the class) and I must say that they are so good. Their skill is more than made up for by their lack of vision.

    ReplyDelete