Tuesday 12 June 2012

Let's get physical!

One thing that every ex-pat needs for a work permit in China, is a physical examination. For some reason I expected it to be something along the lines of what I have for my pilots license. You meet with a doctor, answer a few questions, he takes your blood pressure, a quick eye test, and you're out the door. But I forgot the most important thing about this physical examination - I'M IN CHINA!

Armed with my passport, an empty stomach (you have to fast) and Wei Wei (HR girl from the office), we made the journey to where they give the exams.  It's a special medical facility about 40 minute drive outside the Beijing CBD.  We caught a taxi, Wei Wei in the front and me in the back.  Unfortunately Wei Wei does not know much English, so a conversation was never going to happen.  But she did talk to the taxi driver on and off, and it got me wondering what were they talking about.  Were they talking about the shock elimination on last night's "The Voice?".  Or perhaps, they were discussing the European economic crisis?  I'll never know, but it was good to make up scenarios.  Filled in the time.

We arrived at the examination centre around 8:50am, and then it was as simple as following the signs.


I had dinner with Keith Fowler (who I'm replacing) the previous night, and he did warn me that it was like a production line.  But I had no idea how much it was like a production line.  I'll give it to the Chinese, they are very efficient.  It was simple as going from room to room.

Let me recount the next part in Jack Bauer style.  "The following takes place between 8:55am, and 9:18am.  Events occur in real time"

8:55am  Completed registration form, proceeded to registration counter
8:56am  Registered, showed passport, had photo taken, moved to next counter
8:58am  Paid the fee (well, Wei Wei paid the fee), then the checks begin.  It was one procedure/check per room,
8:59am  Ultrasound.  This was the longest, it took about 5 minutes.
9:04am  Blood sample
9:07am  Chest X-Ray
9:09 am Blood pressure taken
9:11am  ECG
9:14 am Vision and Colour test / Hearing
9:16am  Surgical Exam.  Checked my throat, chest, height and weight.
9:18am  Done!

It must be the worlds quickest medical examination.  All over in 23 minutes.  The longest part of the exam, was the ultrasound (and for you information, I'm not pregnant!). But did everything go ok?  Do I have to get full marks to get my permit? I guarantee you I failed the colour test part (for those who know me well, I am slightly colour "impaired"). 

But there were alot of smiles, and nods, and according to Wei Wei (when we got back to the office for a translation), it went well.  I get the results in about 7 days, and provided I don't have an alien growing inside me, it's onto the next stage. 

This afternoon I go apartment hunting.  I'm sure one day this week I might actually get some work done.










No comments:

Post a Comment